Domaine de la Romanée-Conti
Domaine Marquis d’Angerville owns much the same plots as when the property was documented in 1507 by an officer performing an inventory of King Louis XII’s holdings in the region.
It is an interesting coincidence that the past three owners of Domaine Marquis d’Angerville, one the leading estates of the Côte de Beaune, all took charge without much prior knowledge of viticulture and wine-making. They learnt by doing before becoming preeminent actors on the Burgundy wine scene, with Sem d’Angerville (Guillaume’s grandfather) even playing a game-changing role in the region. The family history of the domain starts with Jean-Baptiste Eugène Jobard du Mesnil (1778-1835). This Baron d’Empire acquired the Clos des Ducs, which to this day remains a Monopole belonging to the domain, in 1804, together with several other vineyards located on the village of Volnay.
After his grand-son Eugène Jobard du Mesnil died in 1888 without a direct heir, the property went to Eugène’s nephew and godson, Sem, Marquis d’Angerville, who was then just fifteen years old. After pursuing an artistic education and vocation, Sem took charge of the estate in 1906, without prior knowledge of winemaking. He began his own education “on site” while replanting the vineyards which had been destroyed by phylloxera at the end of the 19th century.