Maison Joseph Drouhin is both a leading négociant house of Burgundy and one of its most important estates, with about 80 ha, of which many grand cru and premier cru, in multiple sectors of the Côte de Beaune, the Côte de Nuits, as well as the Chablis appellation and the Côte Chalonnaise.
The history of this family-owned enterprise began in 1880 when 22-year-old Joseph Drouhin founded his eponymous wine company. It was his son Maurice who expanded the operations to establish a domain with its own vineyards across the region. Robert Drouhin, who succeeded Maurice in 1957, gave the domain its present dimension, building up the estate with acquisitions of grand cru vineyards, including Grands Echézeaux, Griotte-Chambertin, Musigny, and Bâtard-Montrachet. Another significant purchase was a Chablis estate of some 38 hectares, Le Moulin de Vaudon. Robert even cast his eye further afield and in 1987 created a 50-ha estate in Oregon.
Robert’s daughter, Véronique Boss-Drouhin, is in charge of wine-making in both France and Oregon. This is a family company with, in addition to Véronique, Frédéric Drouhin in the role of president, Philippe in charge of the domain holding including the practice of biodynamic farming for the vineyards, as well as Laurent, based in New York and responsible for the American market. Their father, Robert, remains active as president of the Control Board.
The Drouhins have another “enfant chéri”, the famous Clos des Mouches. Maurice Drouhin was able to purchase a good portion of it in the 1920s and in time, the vineyard holdings reached some 13 ha, so a good half of this climat, planted to half Pinot Noir and half Chardonnay. Special mention must be made for two other whites released under the Drouhin label. Since 1947, there has been an auspicious partnership with the family of the Marquis de Laguiche to cultivate the vines and produce the wines made from their holdings in Montrachet (more than 2 ha) as well as a Chassagne-Montrachet “Morgeot” from 2.6 ha situated in a number of Premier Cru climats grouped under the name Morgeot.