VEGA SICILIA

VEGA SICILIA

CASTILLA Y LEON
Owner:
Alvarez Family
Manager:
Pablo Alvarez
Website
Tasted alongside other great wines from around the world, Vega Sicilia is a quintessentially Spanish wine. Such is its reputation in its homeland that this mythical wine's very name is spoken with hushed respect.
VEGA SICILIA

The history of this estate began in 1848, when Toribio Lecanda, a landowner of Basque origin, bought a 2,000 hectare agricultural and livestock estate from the Marquis of Valbuena. His son Eloy founded the Vega Sicilia winery in 1864, and bought 18,000 cuttings of Cabernet-Sauvignon, Malbec, Merlot and Pinot Noir in Bordeaux, to be used for making brandy and ratafias. In 1876, in the Philadelphia Fair, Lecanda obtained a quality certificate for his brandies. That same year he won a warrant to supply the Royal Family, and in 1880 obtained the Grand Cross of Isabel the Catholic… all before the creation of the red wine which was to make the estate famous! The firm was eventually acquired by the Herrero family, who took on Domingo Garramiola Txomin as winery manager. In the highly traditional wine world of the time Domingo had revolutionary ideas, using Bordeaux techniques for making the wine, then ageing it in new oak casks, all the while placing great importance on standards of hygiene. The hard work of Domingo Garramiola Txomin gave fruit in 1915, with the birth of two exceptional wines: Vega Sicilia and Valbuena.
The current chapter in the estate's long history opened in 1982, when David Álvarez acquired the winery and the vineyards from the Venezuelan businessman Miguel Neumann. Since then the Álvarez Mezquíriz family has placed great store on aligning the innovative oenological techniques required by today's wine industry, with traditional winemaking practices. The vineyard has been enlarged and modern processes adopted both inside and outside the winery.

The Vega Sicilia wineries are located in Valbuena de Duero, in the province of Valladolid, on an estate made up of a fertile plain that follows the course of the river. The river forms the northern boundary of the estate's 1,000 hectares, while the southern limit is set by woods, which lie on the slopes leading to the plain. The vineyards cover 250 hectares, with soils of clayey-limestone, with brown-grey streaks and an alluvial area.
80% of the Vega Sicilia vineyards are planted with Tempranillo, while the remaining 20% are split between Cabernet-Sauvignon, Merlot and Malbec.
Cask-ageing is crucial to Vega Sicilia wines, and the estate has developed a special process resembling none other, which gives the wines their uniqueness.

The Vega Sicilia wines have a sort of old but stately aura, like period furniture; these are wines of great elegance, finesse and complexity, eminently capable of keeping their characteristics in bottle for many years.