DOMAINE BRUNO CLAIR

DOMAINE BRUNO CLAIR

GEVREY-CHAMBERTIN
Owner:
Bruno Clair
Website
Bruno Clair, founded the domaine which bears his name in 1979. The domaine at that time included plots in Marsannay and Fixin, the Dominode vineyard in Savigny-les-Beaune, and a large plot lying fallow in Morey-St.-Denis – “En la Rue de Vergy”.
DOMAINE BRUNO CLAIR

Bruno Clair is the son of Bernard Clair (1920-2005) and the grandson of Joseph Clair (1889-1971), originator of the famous Domaine Clair-Daü which was founded in Marsannay in 1919. Following Joseph’s death, family disagreements led to the dismantling of the Domain Clair-Daü in 1985. In 1986, Bruno was entrusted with the vineyards of his parents, brothers and sisters which included those of Clos de Bèze, Cazetiers, Clos St-Jacques, Vosne-Romanée, Clos du Fonteny and Chambolle-Musigny. More vineyards were purchased by the estate in 1993, including Corton-Charlemagne, Pernand-Vergelesses and Aloxe-Corton, and in 1996 Gevrey-Chambertin Petite Chapelle was added to bring the size of the domaine to more than 23 hectares (56.8326 acres).

Bruno Clair maintains a rigorous selection of the best vines of pinot noir and chardonnay, identifying those that produce small grapes with perfect ripeness. This selection also concentrates on finding vines that have a good resistance to diseases and are free from viruses. This work requires much patience and is absolutely essential to obtain a healthy vineyard of great quality.

After the malolactic fermentation, the wines are racked and their “élevage” continues on the fine lees that have been preserved. The wines are aged in oak barrels. The percentage of new barrels used varies from 20 to 50%, according to the vintage. Bottling is carried out after a period of maturation which may be from 16 to 22 months.